Day 6: I'm Fine- BTS


Song: I'm Fine
Artist: BTS
Jan 6

My mood today has been kind of all over the place. One minute I feel highly energized and content and the next I'm completely exhausted and getting emotional about the fact that I can't physically fuse with my mattress.

For those of you who have been following the sleeping patterns of Patrick Star for the last few years, BTS is a hugely popular South Korean group comprised of four vocalists and three rappers. Known for their poetic, deep, and meaningful lyrics with messages of self-love and acceptance, BTS has been smashing records worldwide and breaking cultural barriers. I could write an entire thesis or seven about this group of amazing artists and even more amazing humans but Not Today.

First things first, BTS are notorious for hidden meanings, telling a continued story, and connecting songs together in a very well thought out and strategic way. These songs make you think, deeply, and there are some elaborate theories floating around. That all being said, if "I'm Fine" is your introduction or you aren't well versed with BTS' discography then you might miss out on the cleverness of the intro of "I'm Fine". We start out hearing an electronic progression and a clock ticking. Now this might seem innocuous, however BTS recycled and inverted the introduction to their 2016 song titled "Save Me". Featuring the "Save Me" melody as the intro of  "I'm fine" very pointedly links the two songs despite their very different tones. Why is this relevant? BTS used the image featured below for promotions in 2016.
Image result for save me im fine

In 2018 the "Save me" font made its return except now the text was inverted.

Related image

The origins of this inverse Save Me/I'm Fine were actually a suicide prevention ad campaign out of Singapore in 2013. I will touch more on this when I get to the lyrics portion but for now on with the music. The intro cuts off suddenly and we are met with the deep and breathy vocals of V singing over a somber melody and wispy synths that make me think of a funeral march. Jimin takes the reigns, his tone sweeter and leading an upward progression as if he is extending his hand until RM's rap verse explodes with energy and gusto. His flow feels like a pep talk. It's not aggressive but it isn't timid either. The music here is very upbeat and electronic with slight variations throughout the later verses. I picture a race, full of perseverance and determination even if there are moments where we fall down. The choruses driving that get up and fight energy. As we continue on we reach Jhope and Suga's verses. I love the stark contrast between the three rapper's verses in "I'm Fine". Each one has a very different flow and energy.  Jhope's verse comes first and is the quietest of the three. It is the first time we hear doubt in the song. As if he is convincing the listener he's ok. Suga comes next with the most aggressive and quickest flow of the three. Despite his speed he punches certain words, making sure that we hear them. I think it is important the he follows directly after Jhope as it challenges the listener. Jimin appears again with the same energy he had before leading us into another chorus. Musically the bridge after this chorus is the most interesting part of the song as the electronics drop of and we hear that somber melody again. Jungkook starts with an airy vocal that sounds full of emotion transitioning to V who mirror's the same emotional tone of Jungkook. When Jimin and Jin join back in the music explodes like it did at the beginning into our final chorus. V both opens and closes the vocals to this song which I think is highly important. Pay attention to the breath he takes before his final line. The quiver in his breath, like that of someone about to cry, as he lets out a quiet and broken "I'm Fine".

As mentioned above the title of the track is tied to a suicide prevention campaign which definitely colors the lyrics. We hear a repetitive "I'm fine" throughout the entire song, both in English and in Korean. Obviously indicative of when someone with severe depression hides behind that exact phrase so others will be appeased.

"I'm opening my eyes under the sky that's so blue it's cold
The outpouring sunlight makes me feel dizzy"

V opens the song with these lyrics. "So blue it's cold" really strikes me. The lyrics here give off a sense of isolation. 
"My breath is quickening, my heart is racing
I can feel it so easily that I'm alive"

The lyric immediately after, as sung by Jimin, when combined with V's can be interpreted multiple ways, however, I view it as someone who has moved out of depression or even survived a suicide attempt making an active decision to live. This is further strengthened within RM's verse.

"Even if sadness erases me
Even if there are clouds
Even if I'm in an endless dream
Even if I'm endlessly crumpled
Even if my wings are torn
Even if someday, I''m not me anymore
It's alright, only I am my own salvation
I won't ever die in this walk
How you doin? I'm fine
My sky is clear
All pain, say goodbye"

The lyrics touch on being able to overcome pain and sadness on their own, without being dependent on another person. The only way to pull yourself out is through yourself.

"I'll let go of your hand now
I know I'm all mine, mine, mine"

"I don't wanna be sad anymore
I could see the sunshine, shine, shine
Cause I'm just fine"

At times the lyrics feel like they really believe they are fine and others seem less convinced but I feel like this is a perfect representation of the highs and lows we have in life. Some moments we are fine and others we go through the motions. Again I am going to talk about V's beginning and ending. His closing I'm fine makes us question the entirety of the song. Are they really fine? Or are they putting on a brave face? 

Lyric that attacked me:
"I'll keep telling myself
Even if I fall down again
I'm fine, I'm Fine
I'm Fine"

Song Color: Pale Pink and bright yellow

Mood: Introspective

Comments

Popular Posts