Day 12: Sweat- All-American Rejects

Song: Sweat
Artist: The All-American Rejects
Jan 12

Today has been the epitome of a lazy, hazy Saturday which is totally fine by me. I feel energetic and refreshed also a little horrified by this burst of productive energy that I haven't felt in a long while.

If you aren't aware of who The All-American Rejects are I'm fairly certain you've been completely shut off from all pop culture for the last two decades. Formed in 1999, AAR has been an inescapable presence in film, television, radio, and every teenager's playlist. There was a slight drop off in how heavy of a presence they held in the mid 2010s, however, they're still going strong and as quirky as ever. If you fell victim and lost touch with the guys I would definitely recommend a listen of their more recent releases. 

One thing I love about AAR is while yes, they have a serious side (see the sister to this release: "Close your eyes"), they are unafraid to just have fun and make light of negativity.  "Sweat" definitely falls into the latter category. Our intro is upbeat and light, despite the robust richness of the bass, and full of swagger. There is something coy in the guitar part and Tyson's vocal during the verses. I can vividly picture  Tyson smirking while hamming up his most ridiculous "seductive" poses. I promise I thought this even before I saw the short film that is this MV (the first half of the "Close your eyes" video linked above) in which my mental image suddenly became reality haha. True to form "Sweat" is full of solid and powerful guitar chords during our chorus, like a hard workout.  I really love the formula of this chorus. Tyson's absolutely filthy, edgy vocal with stressed dynamics bouncing off of the aggressive power chords of the guitar and then flipping into this sharp and pointed whisper is just delightful. Honestly, this whole track screams "sexy fails" in the best way. Don't get me wrong the right person could very easily pull of seduction while dancing to "Sweat", however the mental image of someone awkwardly  panther crawling off the edge of a bed while wearing a feather boa is much more amusing in my opinion.

The lyrics themselves are actually pretty snarky. They have that "I'm done with your games" attitude.

   "Yeah, tell me what honest is
You need a body cast for all my broken promises."

"Go and cry to your Mama
Life is such a comedy, so just spare me the drama"

The savageness of these lines is an entire mood. This is a person who is completely done with their partner playing the victim card.

"I've got nothing to prove
Told you not to hold your breath
It's getting in the way I make you
Sweat, sweat, sweat"

I don't know about you but this bridge into the chorus is such a power move from the singer. As if he's saying: "you have no control over me but I have an affect on you". I also like that he is sticking to his guns. He refuses to give in, change himself, or entertain the games. Too often I feel like lyrics can have this "I'll fix myself for you" or "change myself for you" energy. Changing yourself for another person is the definition of toxic, so it's refreshing to hear lyrics that refuse to bend. 

Lyric that attacked me: 
"I'm not a basic dude
But I'm just a waste to you"

Song Color: Red

Mood: Playful 

Comments

Popular Posts