Day 4: Fools - Troye Sivan

Song: FOOLS
Artist: Troye Sivan 
Jan 4

I'm going to be totally honest and admit that my first interaction with this song was indeed a cover. That being said when I first heard the original Troye Sivan version I was moved to tears, shocked by the stark contrast of what was familiar and different, and it became an instant favorite.

"FOOLS" opens with a lone piano that somehow manages to sound completely heartbroken and devastated. Our sad little piano is joined by the gruff vocals of Sivan. The vocal fry on the first word of the song raises goosebumps. It's as if you can hear the exhaustion, the sadness, the hurt.. The beat drop is like an actual punch to the stomach as the world of the song explodes open. There is a childlike whimsy to the swirling melody that begins, however, the tone remains dark. Floating within a daydream the melody becomes an auditory incarnation of "what if".  Despite its somber tone there are glimmers of hope within the upbeat nature of the song.  The phrase "One Day" constantly comes to my mind. One day it'll be ok. One day.

Straightforward with hints of poetry, the lyrics tell a clear story. How we interpret the relationship and the outcome varies depending on the listener.

"I see swimming pools and living rooms and aeroplanes
I see a little house on the hill and children's names
I see quiet nights poured over ice and Tanqueray
But everything is shattering and it's my mistake"


This verse makes me cry every single time. That desire for an unattainable future and the self blame is absolutely gut-wrenching.

"Only fools fall for you, only fools
Only fools do what I do, only fools fall
Only fools fall for you, only fools
Only fools do what I do, only fools fall"

The chorus reads to me like a person unable to give up their feelings despite knowing how full of hurt loving this person will be. Whether that be due to circumstances around the couple or internal conflicts within the relationship. Personally, I lean towards the former. 

Lyric that attacked me:
"Oh, our lives don't collide, I'm aware of this"
"Don't give a fuck, not giving up, I still want it all"

Song color: Deep Violet

Mood: Helpless


Comments

Popular Posts