Day 1: Then - Gaho ft. Villain

Song: Then
Artist: Gaho ft. Villain
Jan 1

First things first, Happy New Year and all that jazz! I hope you meet at least one resolution that you have made this year and that the burdens of last year dwindle.

This morning at approx. 4:21 am I was ripped from my slumber with "Then" by Gaho worming around in my ears. Outside of the God awful time I woke up I am definitely not complaining about my brain's apparent music selection. 

For those of you unfamiliar with Gaho he is an up and coming South Korean  solo singer, however, he is also a part of the r&b/hip hop collaboration group called PLT who made their debut last January.

Starting with the music itself "Then" starts very simplistic with a percussive, yet soft plucking of strings and Gaho's vocal. I find myself thinking about a clean fresh start during the opening. As the song builds into the first chorus a very smooth bass joins into the mix along with what sounds like some synth drums. Gaho's vocals ebb and flow like milk and honey; rich, sweet, and comforting.  Meanwhile Villain's rap verse is very percussive and staccato. Giving the impression that there is an internal struggle. There is something incredibly light, hopeful, and inherently gentle in the tone of the song. Mentally I picture someone finally freeing themselves from something (be it a person, setback, obstacle, etc.) and proceeding forward.

Lyrically, the song is reflective and indicative of a past relationship. The contrast between the lyrics and tone makes for a beautiful juxtaposition.

"If I could turn back the clock
I could've done better
I think of the times we've been together
Miss you once
Miss you again
I don't wanna miss you
I just wanna bless you"

"A me without you
It's just I have to live without you
It's like death"

Now, I know that this reads very bleak but it's very clear that he's not fighting to win whatever he misses back. He is letting it go. And I think this is what strikes me so hard.

There is the obvious notion that he is speaking to a person but if we change our initial perspective and branch out he could be speaking to any number of things. A vice or habit.  A dream (this is my personal favorite interpretation)... Gaho's lack of specific pronouns are what makes this track so relevant and poignant.

Lyric that attacked me:
"Among the good and normal people 
An eccentric fellow
I'm running so much more"

Song Color: Warm Amber

Mood: Hopeful 

Comments

Popular Posts