Day 31: Revolt - Muse

Song: Revolt
Artist: Muse
Jan 31

What an absolute doozy today has been. My attitude venturing out into this polar vortex has led me on a steady decline heightened by car troubles this morning. Regardless I am now comfortably sitting next to a delightful fire stupidly staring into the flames as if I'll somehow see the end of "Game of Thrones".

Tonight, I had the unending urge to spend some quality time with Matt Bellamy and co.  And with my desire to fight the metaphorical man "Revolt" proved to be what I was looking for.  Sirens and the sound of protesting fade with the entrance of a heavily distorted keyboard (I think, it's seriously hard to distinguish). Enter the wail of Matt's guitar reminiscent of every iconic power solo of the late 70s, early 80s. The Queen influences are present with that inherent Muse twist. "Revolt" at its core is a rock anthem showy and flashy while uplifting and inspiring the crowd. Mentally, I'm not going to lie, I always picture their concerts. The power and ability to rev up a crowd while feeling the song reverberate in your chest.  We stay relatively high energy throughout the duration of the song with aggressive bombastic movement in the instrumentals. The sweetness and emotional connection coming through Matt's vocal. I find it interesting that Matt sings frequently in his lower register as if to clearly get his point across and not get skewed by his iconic falsetto. The contrast when he does hit a higher note is all the more fantastical. I feel like I see this swirl of light with every high note Matt hits, think Ursula stealing Ariel's voice kid of swirling light, see below:

Not gonna lie, I would high key burst at the seems if someone made a fanart of Matt as Ariel in this moment.

The lyrics are not the most impressive Muse lyrics I have ever beheld but they get the job done. Inspiring, uplifting, and full of the pressing need to fight for your human rights. All in all just another day with the boyas.

"Our freedom's just on loan
Run by machines and drones
They've got us locked into their sights
Soon they'll control what's left inside"

I should point out for those unaware that album "Drones" from which "Revolt" appears is one giant social commentary on drone warfare. One thing I love about Muse is that while they blantantly comment on serious world issues it is never preachy (at least to me). Matt's brilliant lyric writing  makes you think and reflect as opposed to forcefully telling you what it is you are supposed to feel or be.

"You've got strength
You've got soul
You've felt pain
You've felt love
You can grow (you can grow)
You can grow (you can grow)
You can make this world what you want
You can revolt"

The chorus is super simple and straightforward but I love it all the same. It reassures me on my worst day that I do matter, everyone of us matters. We may all feel insignificant but we as  humans continue to blossom and grow and we hold power to change.

Lyric that attacked me:
"We live in a toxic jungle
Truth is suppressed to mumbles"

Song Color: Flickering yellow and orange

Mood: Content

Comments

Popular Posts