Day 3: Tempt You (Evocatio) - Nothing But Thieves

Song: Tempt You (Evocatio)
Artist: Nothing But Thieves 
Jan 3

Today I've found myself unbearably exhausted and mellow which made finding the song that spoke for my almost non-existent mood incredibly difficult. Thankfully Nothing But Thieves never let me down.

Nothing But Thieves is a British Alt Rock band that were formed in 2012 and released their first full album "Nothing But Thieves" in 2015. I firmly believe they are one of the best and sadly understated musical acts on the airwaves right now and are at the top of my "bands your ears deserve" list.

"Tempt You" starts in an eerie calmness with a melancholic tone.  We only have a few notes before Conor's vocals join the mix adding a layer of depth to the forlorn piano wallowing in the background. Our build is slow and gradual; beautifully crafted, NBT takes their time introducing drums, guitars, and bass being careful not to overshadow the gentle, heady vocals.  Due to this natural progression the apex seems to materialize out of thin air and is startling in its brilliance. There is something inherently seductive as Conor's voice softly caresses, wrapping the listener in a somber embrace. Realistically, I could probably write an entire book about our vocalist, Conor, and his ability to draw so wide a range of emotions in his breath alone.

Typically, I discuss the mental images that flood into my brain as I discuss the music portion but in the case of "Tempt You" I felt it needed its own section. Most of the time when I listen to a song I will get snippets, quick visual images my brain relates to my auditory experience. Sometimes the images I see are free standing and other times there is a cohesive plot. At the beginning of "Tempt You" I picture a ship sailing towards a Grecian beach. Waves are lapping at the bow of the boat as it glides onto the soft sand. The men depart the ship while the focus shifts to a temple in the distance. A shrouded figure stands in the entrance of the temple and is suddenly wrapped in her veil with one lone soldier enticing her away from the temple as war erupts around the pair. The soldier is hypnotic as he slowly drags the entranced woman down the steps into the fray. 

Lyrically "Tempt You" is incredibly poetic and open to interpretation. Coaxing and filled with symbolism, I am positive that the depth of the lyrics is also why my mental story for this song is so strong.

Lyric that attacked me:
"Heaven, it's lonely in your Heaven
Darling we should get together
I could worship you forever"

Song Color: Translucent Smokey Grey

Mood: Introspective 

Comments

Popular Posts