Day 39: Queen - HISTORY

Song: Queen
Artist: HISTORY
Feb 8

I've been pumped up all day excited to have some fun and blow off some steam. I've been particularly excited to suck majorly at DDR and hopefully subject my coworkers to the mess that is me performing Karaoke.

HISTORY was formed in 2013 and sadly disbanded in 2017. The decision to disband was prompted by the upcoming enlistment of the members. The members all remain signed to the label but will focus on solo activities. Small silver linings.

I have very fond memories with this song. "Queen" has become the iconic hype track for my sister and I. The song begins with an aggressive wind up that suddenly breaks with the vocal. The funky saxophone layered with synths and dirty bass line is sultry and fun. Catchy melodies and pulsing harmonies make for a fire dance track. That deep drop during the chorus with the slight ASMR vocals is dripping with lust. Personally, the rap verses are my favorite aspects of the song. Clearly, I have an affinity for Korean rappers.

The lyrics actually surprised my with more substance than I expected.
"Today is a good day
The weather in Bangkok is unpleasant
Girls wear different makeup
Someone puts fire on the hips"

There are obvious sexual undertones in the lyrics. The  attraction to these girls are making things uncomfortable and "unpleasant".

"People wander
Eat, drink, and shout
I'm a real freak, freak man
If you say nothing and
Keep going for tomorrow
You can be, before you know, we all Pac-man
Get on my back naturally
And wag your tail
Look into my eyes and say it"

The Pac-man line is one of the craziest metaphors I have ever heard. I don't feel the need to explain. If you don't understand, congratulations, you still have your innocence. The last three lines made me actually laugh out loud. The audacity of those lyrics dead ass making their partner their dog.

"So relaxed that I don't need
A luxury watch or designer brand
Everything is free whoever I'm with here
To compare like James Bond
Even casual outfits fit like a suit"

The confidence of these guys, I mean I'm not gonna lie they should, but damn. And with Sugar Mamas everywhere they are apparently. The last two lines though.. They exude confidence and swag on a level above us mere mortals. "Even casual outfits fit like a suit" what a line!

Lyric that attacked me:
"Ludwig van Beethoven
I can't hear but focus
I'm the King, you're the Queen
You are the hero tonight"

Song Color: Sultry Red and Burgundy

Mood: Hyped up 

Comments

Popular Posts