Day 34: And I'm Here - Kim Kyunghee

Song: And I'm Here
Artist: Kim Kyunghee
Feb 3

I am blaming the ridiculous amount of angst driven stories I've read or watched today for the current state of my overly emotional mood. Stories that were fluffy comedies, they said, light and happy stories, they said.. the disrespect. Now I'm a blubbering mess who is just poking the wound because apparently I enjoy torturing myself.

The only things I know about Kim Kyunghee is that he is a Korean singer and his catalog features a lot of OSTs. I have searched desperately for more of his songs to no avail, at this point in time. "And I'm Here" is featured on the OST for the series "Goblin" which is an absolutely phenomenal and beautiful drama that I will always recommend to anyone who enjoys a great story.

The very beginning of "And I'm Here" reminds me of a wedding march, very briefly, that would be played at a funeral (if that makes any sense). Somber and full of melancholy but still somehow romantic and joyful. The irony of this feeling, given its source material, is magnificent to me. Without giving too much away, "Goblin" is about an ancient General who, after dying tragically, was cursed with immortality. The only one who can free him of this curse, ending his immortal life, is his bride. There is obviously a lot more going on here but seriously watch the show.  I cannot stress enough how musical scores or compositions for film are so important to guiding/foreshadowing a story. Kyunghee's voice is gentle and full of natural breaks and some really great vocal fries. The breaks emotionally imply the sadness of our singer, which when mingled with the whispered gentleness of the rest of the vocal feels like comfort. Dark, despondent, comfort. The vocal fries on the other hand establish how painful our singer feels. The overlapping harmonies between his falsetto and head voice is both beautiful and heart wrenching. The falsetto sounds like quiet sobbing and is almost unintelligible, whereas, his lower register maintains the comfort. I get the sense that it is a conversation between two people both reassuring that they are there. My opinion on this song is rather morbid, in that, I feel as if the main speaker is preparing their loved one for their death. Absolutely devastating. As we proceed a bright glockenspiel plays over the somber march of the piano. It is lullaby like, as if we are allowing someone to rest. We end resonating on a low forlorn chord that gives me goosebumps every time.

Despite being a Korean singer, the lyrics for "And I'm Here" are entirely in English. The lyrics are a little more hopeful than the tone of the song, however, I feel they strengthen my notion of a loved one saying goodbye. The silver lining is that I view that goodbye as an "until we meet again".

"All my fears have gone
When you whisper to me
No matter how near of
Far apart, apart"

"When you feel so lonely,
I'll be here to shelter you"

There is such romance in these words. I am very struck by the line "All my fears have gone when you whisper to me". The depth of love to wash away even the deepest and darkest of fears is quite remarkable and speaks to the level of peace the speaker feels with the other. I think about these two verses almost as a back and forth conversation and when I think about it more on the spiritual realm it totally shifts in its dynamic.

"If I could fly above the clouds
Like all the birds
And I could hold you for a
While to let you feel my pulse
Still here, all alone"

My first interpretation of this lyric would lead me to believe the flying in the clouds is akin to the journey I believe our soul takes in death but as I read it again I think it is from the perspective of the person left behind. If he could fly above the clouds which, most attribute to heaven,  he could meet them again. Holding them, as they feel his pulse, as he sadly states that he's still alive but he is all alone.

Lyric that attacked me:
"While I still feel your breeze
holding your hands again,
holding your hands"

Song Color: Buckwheat flower white 

Mood: Emotional blubbering mess

Comments

Popular Posts