Day 40: Survival- Spirit Animal

Song: Survival 
Artist: Spirit Animal
 Feb 9

Today, while I am incredibly excited to concert it up, I am super stressed about being behind on my posts due to being sick earlier in the week. I have my game plan in place but sometimes planning everything out without being able to get started immediately can just add to the stress. I'm just going to do my best and enjoy the night out with my best friend, her husband, and some great music!

Spirit Animal is a New York based Alt Rock band. They have a loyal fan base adorably called Spanimals and the band members themselves are just cool down to earth dudes.

"Survival" starts with a motivational synth under Steve's strong vocal. There is a feeling of being waved forward to follow our singer on this journey. The addition of the drums opens the door for the guitar and bass eliminating the synth. We venture more into an upbeat bouncy tune that sounds like sunshine. Steve's vocal melody draws you in leading you but simultaneously staying by your side. It feels as if you have someone to travel this path with. It is reassuring and comforting while encouraging and inspiring you as an individual. 

I love these lyrics. I mean big surprise there, right? They are inspiring and full of metaphor, what's not to love? I have to preface I am trusting my ears here as the lyrics transcription is unavailable due to the song being too new I guess. 

"Looking up the whole way down
Hitting the ground any second now
Like a fighter pilot
On a desert island"

I am unsure as to whether he sings up or out on that first line. The idea of looking up as we come crashing down can be taken a few different ways. There is the spiritual way of looking up, asking a higher power to help. Another way to think about it is the way we compare ourselves to others we view "above" us in terms of where we are in life. Person A owns a successful company while I am still figuring things out. Person B owns a big house and has fancy cars while I am living in an apartment driving a beater. We all do this.

Lyric that attacked me:
"Give me a reason
Make me believe
Nobody's leaving
We say what we mean"

Song Color: Banana Creme

Mood: Stressed

Comments

Popular Posts