Day 38: Feel it Still - Portugal. The Man

Song: Feel it Still
Artist: Portugal. The Man
Feb 7

Finally, feeling better, my mood today has been a total 180. I've been full of energy and slap happy. I always enjoy a good banter and today I was rewarded by the banter gods.

Portugal. The Man is an American rock band out of Alaska.

Stylistically reminiscent of 60s pop rock I visually picture go go dancers every time I hear this song. Fun and upbeat you can't help but move. The darker tones in the bass line and  guitar adds a slinky, almost stealthy dynamic. It feels like a secret spy mission but more in the realm of "Get Smart" than "James Bond". John's vocal melody during the chorus gives me "Mr. Postman" vibes in the best kind of way.

Lyrically, I don't know what to make of this song. At times I get the vibe of someone who feels trapped by parenthood but the rest of the song I get the impression of someone marching to the beat of their own drum.

"Got another mouth to feed
Leave her with a babysitter, Mama, call the grave
Digger
Gone with the fallen leaves
Am I coming out of left field?"

When I read this verse I think of the show "The Americans", about two deep cover Russian spies who pose as your typical American family. The spies have natural born children together who are unaware of their parent's origins/line of work. I interpret this as the spies are out on their mission that involves a hit while the kids are home oblivious with their babysitter.

Lyric that attacked me: 
"We could fight a war for peace
(Ooh woo I'm a rebel just for kicks, now)
Given to that easy living
Goodbye to my hopes and dreams"

Song Color: Vintage Red

Mood: Silly



Comments

Popular Posts