Day 45: Manitto- Villain

Song: Manitto
Artist: Villain
Feb 14

I'm currently still recovering from the flu but my mood is increasingly aggravated over the sheer amount of Valentines posts. I am firmly against everything that this wretched day stands for both for people within a relationship or single. The obligation factor to express love, monetary or otherwise, is not indicative of love, nor is this compulsory need to excessively prove how "in love" you are through social media. On the flip side the over dramatic pity parties crying about how no one loves them or how they will be "forever alone", as if romantic love is the only form of love we have in this world or is the only thing that brings value into our lives is absolutely ridiculous. The whole day bastardizes what love truly is and twists it into a business in the name of a Catholic Saint that never had anything to do with love to begin with. 

Villain is a singer/rapper represented by Planetarium records. He, like previously featured artist Gaho, is a member of the collab group PLT.

"Manitto" starts with Villain's vocal that is acapella for one beat as staccato strings join on the two and four. It's percussive and but not aggressive. Rather it is light and airy.  Suddenly we are met with a tonal change with a vocal transition that is as smooth as butter. Rich and dark the music that follows is like switching from sweet tea to coffee. There is an air of bitterness in Villains rap verses when played with the smooth R&B undertones which makes for a nice contrast. At times I feel like "Manitto" takes on an accusatory note but most of the song I find myself thinking of two parts of a person fighting for dominance. 

Before we start breaking down the lyrics, I want to look at the word Manitto itself. Manito in Italian means secret friend, Spanish translates to dude or homie, and the most interesting to me is Spirit or object of reverence by way of Algonquin (Northern Native Americans).
"Yeah I'm a lotta things
But I'm not a liar
All lies
My manito is my money, dough
No retire
On our table, there is always Michelin
Good things are better"

I find it interesting firstly that these lyrics are over the staccato strings. Which I just equated to the ticking of a clock while reading these lyrics. We get a sense that there is an external voice and internal. I interpret the first two lines to be external, Villain is speaking to someone, these lines are also said in English. His next phrase "All lies" I believe is where we are hearing his internal monologue, admitting that his self-professed "not a liar" is indeed a lie. This is also the introduction to Korean, which I find fascinating.  His friend is his money and alludes to living a life of luxury by mentioning that Michelin (a star rating for restaurants) is always on their table.

"From Sherman Oaks I'm a hero
Hero named Villain Villain Villain
People never get that villains have another feeling
They always try to focus on the hocus pocus on the heroes not the villains"

Sherman Oaks is a very affluent neighborhood in LA that is home to a lot of A-list celebrities. Again, he is taunting his wealth. He states he is a Hero named Villain which is a nod to his own "full stage name: heronamevillain". He is quoted saying "I know my music may not fit the name villain, but my full aka is heronamevillain  and the meaning behind it is that i want to be— I want to have the characteristics in my music that would seem like an unhateable villain, someone who's a villain and a hero at the same time. If you look at the movie hancock, you'll know what I'm saying." The use of the term "Hocus Pocus" is also an interesting choice as I believe it is a nod to the PLT track of the same name. 

Lyric that attacked me:
"You can laugh. I am.
Drink and I'll spoil you
I'll keep the manners in my room."

Song color: Icy Red

Mood: Aggravated, sick

Comments

Popular Posts